Friday, July 24, 2015

barely a teenager...

I walked into that familiar place, that place that feels more like a home than any other orphanage I've ever visited. My kids and I are greeted with smiles, hugs, kisses on the cheeks, and lots of "donde esta mi tio?" (asking where Dan's at)! The amount of words I could write on the impact that man is having to orphaned and vulnerable children is just unreal and I'm not really a writer (like you didn't know that already)... I digress.

We went just for a short visit today as my kiddos have appointments and school and a host of other things going on. The main purpose of our visit was to catch up and to deliver a blessing... a blessing from a 9 year old girl that chose to forego gifts for her birthday to buy groceries, specifically meat, for an orphanage where the children aren't getting much protein in their diets.

I turned the corner, arms full of children and groceries, and there he was... this TINY little package swaddled with blankets, a tiny baby cap on his head, and his little bitty face barely peaking out. I drew closer wanting to scoop him up, but knowing that he was fast asleep, I quickly asked the caregiver who he was...

Her response: he's 8 days old... he and his mother "R" came to live at the home because she's barely a teenager, had just brought forth life, and the system stepped in while she was at the hospital and brought her to the orphanage.

Barely a teenager...
Giving birth in what I imagine to be a poor facility...
The fear of giving birth to a grown, married, resourceful, woman living in the US is intense...
But her... I can't find the words...

I walked to the kitchen, greeted her clearly sore body, we met eyes, and I fought back the tears. Her world just changed drastically... I can't imagine what she must be feeling. We chatted briefly, but she clearly did not trust this new person she had never seen. She observed our interactions with the other girls and their babies. She observed my interactions with my children.

What must she be thinking...
I imagine she felt much like Mary before, during, and after giving life to Jesus. Betrayed. Abandoned. Cast out. Hopeless.

Abba, Father... I cry out to you on behalf of this BEAUTIFUL mother and the AMAZING new life you have just blessed her with. I pray that she would find peace and rest in her new home. I pray that You would draw her near to Yourself. I pray that she would trust quickly. I pray that she would come to know you soon. I pray that anger and fear would not overcome her or affect her relationship with this tiny tiny baby whom she has yet to name. I pray, God of the UNIVERSE, that YOU could preserve this family, that YOU can teach her how to mother from a place of grace and love and complete surrender. I have no words Lord. You know her heart. You know her scars, visible and invisible. I PRAISE you that she chose life. I PRAISE you that he is healthy and loved. Heal her Lord. Redeem her Lord.


(*info has intentionally been left out to protect the privacy of these precious children and the place they call home)

No comments:

Post a Comment