Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011 & YUMMY new recipes!

We have a LOT to be thankful for this year... where do I even begin?

The family fun night fundraiser last weekend was a blast! Did I not mention this yet? I'm so behind on this here blog... it was a night of games, food, and music FREE for all ages... we took a free will offering that was split between 2 dear friends who are adopting internationally (one from India and one from Congo) - you can read their blogs here and here.

Here are a few photos (yes, I'm a horrible picture taker, but the night was a blast and we got to celebrate all that God is doing in these lives!) -
yep, that's my boy in a donut eating contest! :)

It was a beautiful time of worship...

led by my man! :) I heart him!

Now for today... ah, it's been amazing! The little man is asleep already at 6:30pm and Dan-o had to go into work, that's why I'm sitting here blogging on Thanksgiving! I should be cleaning, but I'm in a turkey comma!

We were SO excited about our first holiday at home. I mean, ALL DAY LONG, JUST THE THREE OF US, AT HOME! THRILLED! It's been such a special day and we are SO thankful for our little man and the blessing that he is in our lives. In the 7.5 years that Dan and I have been married, we've never been at home for a holiday... for more than a few hours, so this was a real treat!

A little glimpse into our time of worship together (you may have already seen this on facebook - it's not from today because my camera was charging at that time!)



Malakai helped me to paint a tree on a canvas we already had (equals FREE) and we've been writing on 1 leaf each day something that we are thankful for. It's been so fun to see him catch on to this and go through the leaves each day and thank Jesus for all the blessings in our lives! I'm really not this creative, I got the idea here and here.

This is how Malakai smiles when you tell him to smile... so, any good photos you've seen are only because he was being tickled prior to snapping the pic! 

We decided to put up our Christmas tree since Dan-o will be working all day tomorrow and we have family gatherings on Saturday and Sunday... then we head to Guatemala to serve for a few days. So, if it didn't get done today, it would be a while!

Yes, right now he wants to be in jammies all the time... and it was a perfect day for it! It was such a thrill to watch him decorate the tree and put the ornaments JUST where he wanted them... and I'm leaving them right where he put them! Why not, right??!?!

Another reason to be thankful - We currently have a dance party in the womb each day.... as of 2 days ago! SO incredible to experience!

Now onto the recipes from today!
Somehow I came across THIS BLOG one night when I couldn't sleep... yes, that's been happening far too often lately!

Anyway, she had some healthy, quick, and easy recipes... which I'm always looking for! Our dinners are interesting lately since the little man is ready to eat his arm by 5pm and Dan doesn't get home until 6:30 and sometimes is ready to eat, sometimes not. So... you see the dilemma!

Back to the recipe -

For breakfast this morning, I made this Overnight Baked French Toast and some scrambled eggs to go with it... it was delicious! I'm not a big breakfast person and I could eat this daily!


It was sooo easy - 
1/2 loaf French bread, cut in 2 inch cubes 
1 c egg sub
1 1/2 c milk
4 t sugar 
1/4 t salt 
1/2 T vanilla
Fat free butter spray (any butter will do)
Cinnamon/sugar

Place bread cubes tightly in a sprayed square dish. Beat egg sub, milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Pour over bread. Cover & refrigerate 6-36 hrs. Bake uncovered @350, 45 min. Remove, spray top w/ spray butter (or put small heaps of reg butter). Sprinkle generously with cinnamon/sugar. Return to oven for 5-10 min. Serve with syrup!



**I didn't get any photos of this, but check out the blog link above, she posted photos. I found some other great recipes on her blog as well that I'm hoping to try soon! 


THEN, onto the big meal! So, last year was the first time we had ever hosted Thanksgiving, which meant my first go-round at making a turkey. It went well, but was a little dry. This year, it was just going to be the three of us... so, I wanted to do something special, have leftovers for a few days, but not cook enough to feed an army. My other goal was to not be in the kitchen all day so I could spend quality time with my boys... success! 


about 1/2 done

serve it up! 


Herb Roasted Turkey Breast Recipe I used. I LOVE rosemary and thyme together so this recipe was perfect for us! Even without cooking the turkey in a bag, it was very juicy! A few modifications I made (mainly because I didn't want to buy more ingredients): used a squirt of spicy mustard instead of dry mustard, didn't use any sage leaves, used red wine vinegar instead of dry red wine.... DELICIOUS! 


Please share what you like to do with all the turkey leftovers! I bought the smallest breast I could find, but we still have a lot leftover! 


Classic Cheesy Potatoes Recipe - these were delicious and made a huge pan!


What are YOU thankful for on this day?

No comments:

Post a Comment