Friday, April 1, 2011

what i want you to know: from rage against the minivan

I just saw this over on Megan's f.acebook page and thought I'd share. PLEASE, PLEASE give your thoughts and reactions on this post.... I think for so many of us, we have no idea how adoptive families feel... until we are in their shoes. And, I must admit, I've been on both sides of what the writer is referring to... and am glad that someone shared with me how they felt, so I could support them and understand what they were experiencing.

Please, take a few minutes and read this post!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome - excited to see this being passed around! I too have been in both shoes. I keep apologizing to my friend who, I'm sure I have asked ridiculously personal questions unknowingly as we were secretly starting our journey of adoption. I NEVER thought I would be that person who would react to some of the common things you hear about...but all of a sudden, I'm on FIRE when I hear certain phrases. I have to REALLY remind myself to breathe and remember BEFORE T came into our lives. But it IS really REALLY hard to hear that stuff said once you have a little face...I can't even IMAGINE having your little one there during a comment like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathize with this Mom, although I've never experienced adoption. People just don't think before they speak. I can certainly imagine some questions that people ask, or that I might even ask would be best left unasked, really. There is a lot of truth to not really understanding something until you've been there for yourself.

    ReplyDelete