Saturday, April 23, 2011

baby showers, packing, and more!

I must tell you about this past Monday night! Our church (PBC) hosted such a sweet shower for us!

Some sweet friends -
you can tell by their faces how seriously cute our little man is! :)



Melissa sharing while I try not to cry!
 isn't he sweet!?!?!


Melissa, another adoptive mother wrote a devotional, sharing stories of her childhood, stories of her trip to Korea, and stories of bringing their little girl home. She was so sweet to share the verses Isaiah 43 that sustained them through the waiting too...

"But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: 'Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush[a] and Seba in your stead.  Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life. Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’ and to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’ Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth— everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.”

It was such a GREAT night and we are so excited to be able to bless all the kiddos in Ethiopia and in Illinois with the donations we received at the shower! Check out our kitchen... LOVED walking by this and being reminded of the generosity of so many the last couple days! 

And check out this AMAZING blanket our friend Tiffany HANDMADE for little A! I LOVE IT and it matches his room perfectly! She contacted me asking about the colors in his room and I thought it was so sweet of her to ask... not having any idea what she was up to!

And Tiffany wanted to use her talents to serve the Lord so she decided to have a little get together next Saturday where ladies can come and make blankets for children in need! We'll be taking what we can fit  in our luggage to Ethiopia with us, sending some to Ukraine with the Lifesong team, and taking the others to caring pregnancy centers and agencies! We are praying that these blankies will be comforting to some special children!
yes, that's a humongo stuffed animal in A's crib!

What else have we been up to around here?

If you missed our post on dignity bags for kids who are removed from their homes and taken into foster care, check it out here. We're so blessed to be a part of such a generous small group and church, so we've all been collecting supplies, with the help of our couponing friends, to create bags for these children. Amazing for them to have something to call their own.

Currently the back seat of our car looks a little something like this -

As you can see, we've also been gathering donations to take to Little A's orphanage... we've been blessed with LOTS of formula, cloth diapers, and other necessities... can you imagine how many diapers, wipes, and bottles of formula you go through at an orphanage??!?!

packing... making lists, making new lists, and more lists! 


and starting to pack for trip 2... since we don't know how long we'll be home between these trips. 
What do you take with you to entertain a toddler for 20 hours on a plane? That's right... a hand-me-down musical guitar and a sale rack etch-a-sketch! :)

Check out these Africa silly bands we got for the kiddos at Hannah's Hope - 

So thankful for the baby carrier another AGCI friend, Kim sent us... I'm sure it will make our time in airports much easier - 

We've been finishing up some projects at home, like painting touch ups, cleaning out anything and everything I can get my hands on, and FINALLY hanging things on our walls! Oh, I wish I could show you the collage in our room of our little man! It's SO sweet and I can see it each time I lie down! W.algreens had a SUPER deal on 8x10 collages during a promo period and we got it for $1.08!

Check out this painting from one of the kids at the Lifesong Zambia school, equipped with a profile of a child that we can pray for -

and the children we serve in Ethiopia inside my 50 cent garage sale frame {that I need to repaint}... i heart ephrem! -

We finally found a spot for this neat little frame we received for Christmas TWO years ago! I'm including three photos of this below... to show you the space I decided to hang it in.... cause now I need your help figuring out WHAT to put in those tiny little 2"x2" squares? Hopefully that won't take another 2 years! {this is where you leave me your brilliant ideas... comment below}





We also started planting our first vegetable garden to be able to make food for our little man... and as you can see we planted way more than the 3 of us will be able to eat, so we're planning to freeze lots of veggies for this coming winter -
No comments about the grass issues on this side of our house... just can't seem to get it right, which is why we thought it was PERFECT for a garden!

I've been spending some of my late nights of not sleeping making fun things for our upcoming baby shower that our family is throwing for us.... sometimes it seriously calms me to paint and do crafty things. Please note, the name on the 2nd part of this banner is 'retouched' since we can't share online  -








And a little sign for his dresser (minus his Ethiopian name which has been blurred for your viewing pleasure) -

yep, we finally landed on a name!

insert a great closing paragraph that I'm too tired to think of right now! But I will say this... THANK YOU! for your generosity. for your prayers. for allowing us to cry with you. and laugh with you. and for standing by our sides while we walked this sometimes crazy road of adoption. we love you all and are so excited for you to meet the sweet little boy we've all been praying for. 

8 comments:

  1. Love it all!!!! And so happy to see all that formula and diapers headed to HH to care for our precious babes until they can be in our arms at last. Hoping this last month goes FAST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are another Both Hands Family and I just saw we have almost the exact same court date! Ours is May 19th!!! Maybe I'll see you there=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you Christi! Everything is coming together just so. My idea to you for your 2x2 frames is in the left one put a picture of your little man's feet, middle frame - his sweet face and in the right one - his sweet little hands. Blessings to you & Dan on your upcpming travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun!!! I LOVE the name and the banner!!! Looks like things are moving right along here, praying they are in ET as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christi and Dan,
    You are in my thoughts often. I love your hearts, and your little man is so blessed to have found such a wonderful forever home! I know you will be amazing parents, even with the challenges that are still to come, and the things many others may not be able to understand....I want to give you a piece of advice that one of the nurses told me before I left Peoria with Abbie. She said above all else trust your instinct. You are her mother and about 99% of the time if you feel something isn't quite right...you will be right. I remember in the hospital feeling already like Abbie had signs of reflux. Something didn't seem quite right. I told one of the nurses and she kind of blew me off....but guess what...Abbie has reflux. Another time in the hospital I went to kiss her goodnight before we left and her IV at the time was in a vein on the top of her head...if felt puffy. I went and told the nurse that I wasn't sure her IV was in anymore and sure enough it wasn't. Maybe that is just my medical background talking, but I knew something wasn't right. So trust yourself! You are his parents!! Even after only knowing Abbie for 24 hours...I knew her. It will be the same with your little man. He melted your heart the moment you saw him and your lives were forever changed!
    Love you guys!
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Love the banner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE me some PBC! Your church ROCKS! So excited for you guys- God is so good- taking care of every single one of our needs. Love you!

    ReplyDelete