Monday, June 14, 2010

SOMETHING WORTH LOSING EVERYTHING FOR!

We just finished reading the first chapter of David Platt's new book 'Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream'.

And... it's kicking our butts!

I was going to try to sum it up in my own words, but decided the author was the author for a reason! :)
"This is the picture of Jesus in the gospel. He is something - someone - worth losing everything for. And if we walk away from the Jesus of the gospel, we walk away from eternal riches. The cost of nondiscipleship is profoundly greater for us than the cost of discipleship. For when we abandon the trinkets of this world and respond to the radical invitation of Jesus, we discover the infinite treasure of knowing and experiencing him." 
What am I willing to lose for the sake of Jesus? I want to be a part of the people who are risking it all!
Platt talks about 2 primary questions he asked himself before journeying further into this book -
"First, from the outset you need to commit to believe whatever Jesus says.... Then second, you need to commit to obey what you have heard. The gospel does not prompt you to mere reflection; the gospel requires a response. In the process of hearing Jesus, you are compelled to take an honest look at your life, your family, and your church and not just ask 'What is he saying?' but also ask, 'What shall I do?'"
Let me know how your reading is coming... we'd love to walk the journey of this book with you!

2 comments:

  1. I feel spoiled...I don't know how to respond to his comments, and challenges...and that scares me a little! It makes everything we do here on Earth on a day to day basis merely inadequate to what we should be doing for Jesus...I find myself asking...If tomorrow the Lord calls me away from my family, my life as I know it, would I be able to follow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget - Thanks for your open, honest, and vulnerable comment!

    I feel the same... makes me re-evaluate!

    ReplyDelete